Poisonous Foods & Plants for Dogs

There are a lot of plants and foods that are toxic to dogs so pet owners should be aware of what can be harmful to their dogs. Today, our Gardena vets discuss which plants and foods are poisonous for dogs, what the symptoms of poisoning are, and what you should do to help.

Plants That Are Poisonous to Dogs

Many plants can make your dog sick and can be potentially fatal for your pup. That is why you should always keep them from chewing any plants or vegetation outside or in your yard because what can be safe and beautiful for you can be toxic for your canine companion.

Below, our veterinarians have listed some of the plants you should keep away from your dog. If your pooch does ingest any one of these items, seek emergency veterinary care right away.

  • Tulips
  • Foxglove
  • Mistletoe
  • Milkweed
  • Oleander
  • Sago Palm
  • Allium
  • Japanese Yew
  • Holly
  • Perrywinkle/ Vinca
  • Perrenial Pea or Sweet Pea
  • Water Hemlock/ Cowbane/Poison Parsnip 
  • Castor Bean / Castor Oil Plant
  • Maleberry / Staggerbush
  • Marijuana
  • Tabacco
  • Rhubarb
  • Ivy

Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs

Our Gardena vets have listed some common household foods that can poison your dog.

  • Chocolate
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Chives
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Alcohol

Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

Our lists provided contain the plants and foods that you are most likely to come into contact with, but there are so many more that are not mentioned. It is incredibly important that you know the signs to look for to react quickly to any poisoning that may occur.

We understand it can be hard to determine which plants are safe or dangerous, that's why we have listed the most common symptoms below:

  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Skin irritation

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog contact an emergency hospital or veterinarian immediately as poisoning is serious and these symptoms are also signs of other possible conditions. The sooner you call your vet the sooner your dog can be diagnosed and treated.

Treating a Poisoned Dog

It will help if you bring a photo of the plant that your dog ingested as well as a list of symptoms that you noticed to your vet or emergency hospital in Gardena.

The treatment your vet provides for your dog will depend on the plant they were exposed to or have ingested because all toxins are different. However, treatments your vet could implement include:

  • Antitdoes (if one is available for the specific plant)
  • Stomach pumping
  • Induced vomiting

You should never induce vomiting in dogs unless specifically instructed by your vet. Always call your vet as soon as you suspect your dog has been in contact with a toxic plant, your veterinarian will provide you with instructions on what you should do to help your pet during this emergency while you bring your pet to the hospital. 

Are you concerned that your dog has been poisoned? Contact our Gardena vets immediately to have your pup cared for.